With the National Hockey League set to start in mid-January, it is time to look back at NHL free agency. Here is a list of the top eight players who are not Canadian, but signed with Canadian teams.
8) Travis Boyd–Toronto Maple Leafs–On October 10, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed center Travis Boyd of Hopkins, Minnesota to a one-year contract worth $700,000 from the Washington Capitals. Last season, Boyd had three goals and seven assists for 10 points in 24 games.
7) Nate Thompson–Winnipeg Jets–On October 10, the Winnipeg Jets signed center Nate Thompson of Anchorage, Alaska to a one-year contract worth $750,000 from the Philadelphia Flyers. Last season with the Flyers and Montreal Canadiens, Thompson had four goals and 11 assists for 15 points in 70 games.
6) Jimmy Vesey–Toronto Maple Leafs–On October 11, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed left winger Jimmy Vesey of Boston, Massachusetts to a one-year contract worth $900,000 from the Buffalo Sabres. Last season, Vesey had nine goals and 11 assists for 20 points in 64 games.
5) Dominik Simon–Calgary Flames–On October 22, the Calgary Flames signed center Dominik Simon of Prague, Czech Republic to a one-year contract worth $700,000 from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Last season, Simon had seven goals and 15 assists for 22 points in 64 games.
4) Alex Galchenyuk–Ottawa Senators–On October 28, the Ottawa Senators signed left winger Alex Galchenyuk of Milwaukee, Wisconsin to a one-year contract worth $1.05 million from the Minnesota Wild. Last season, Galchenyuk had eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points with the Wild and Pittsburgh Penguins in 59 games.
3) Dominik Kahun–Edmonton Oilers–On November 1, the Edmonton Oilers signed center Dominik Kahun of Plana, Czech Republic to a one-year contract worth $975,000 from the Buffalo Sabres. A member of the German national team despite being a native of the Czech Republic, Kahun had 12 goals and 19 assists for 31 points last season in 56 games with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres.
2) Evgenii Dadonov–Ottawa Senators–On October 15, 2020, the Ottawa Senators signed right winger Evgenii Dadonov of Chelyabinsk, Russia to a three-year contract worth $15 million from the Florida Panthers. Last season, Dadonov had 25 goals and 22 assists for 47 points in 69 games.
1)Jacob Markstrom–Calgary Flames–On October 9, 2020, the Calgary Flames signed goaltender Jacob Markstrom of Gavle, Sweden to a six-year contract worth $36 million from the Vancouver Canucks. Last season, Markstrom had a record of 23 wins, 16 regulation losses, and four losses in extra time, two shutouts, a goals against average of 2.75, and a save percentage of .918.